Monday, October 29, 2007

Run Forrest Run...

My whole life I have hated to run. I grew up playing volleyball, and anytime we made a mistake our punishment was to run... if we really did bad our coach would take us out to the track to run 50's till we puked. I guess I always had this mental hate for running... until I tried it, on my own. Not because I had to, but because I wanted to!
Just me,
my ipod, my GPS,my heart rate monitor and the beautiful Arizona sunsets!

(Aubree was making fun of me asking if I took off all my gadgets... would my body stop functioning?)

But I have to tell you, I have absolutely fallen in love! What a great way to escape the craziness of the day. I joined a running group to train for the Rock N' Roll marathon. Our group meets twice a week. Mondays for sprint work and Saturdays for long runs. The rest of the week I am on my own. This past weekend I had to go 12 miles, I missed running group (sick kids and a sick husband were my priority!) So... I had to go later in the day. I ran 6 by myself and Aubree graciously joined me the last 6! (I'm too chicken to run at night by myself!) And I have to tell you... it felt great. (My legs were mad as could be at me Sunday morning though!) Anyways, my trainer sends us our schedule for the week and a "motivational thought" every Monday morning and loved this weeks so I had to share it...
"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go" -T.S. Eliot


So here's my challenge to you... step outside of your box. Try something new. Even if you think you don't like it! Push yourself farther than you think you're capable. You just might be surprised at what you can do!

9 comments:

Melissa said...

What a great thought!
I tried running this last spring and I learned something very important about myself : I have duck feet. Not webbed, but my legs turn out just a tad. So, when I run, my heels catch on each other. I fall. It hurts. It also puts a weird pressure on my knees and hips because I don't hit the pavement with my legs at a straight angle. No running for me. But I love to swim! We're in a good area for that :)
When is your marathon?

Heather Brown said...

Good luck training. You truly are an inspiration!! I am gonna go runnin tonight with Madi in the jogger!!! I love that quote by the way!! LOVE YOU AND CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!!

dustin and jessie said...

I thought about running. Don't they say if you think about doing something it's the same as doing it. I think it's wonderful what you are doing, and no, we didn't make you run that much at volleyball practice. Besides, now you have learned that it was good for you and it was an easy way to burn up time when we run out of ideas for drill. Now you know our secret.

Aubree said...

Aren't you glad I took that picture of you!! I knew you would put it to good use. I like how you made it sound like I ran the last 6 miles with you. If only the bruises on my iliac could speak!! My form must be way off. On a serious note...Mands you are amazing. Never have I met anyone like you. You can juggle life like a champ and still have a smile on your face. I think it's awesome that you're doing this marathon. YEA!!

Bekah: said...

wow Mandy! AWESOME!!! you are so amazing, way to go! i cannot believe you are doing a marathon, never in my life has that been a goal of mine, haha. running isnt my most favorite but i do like to go running especially when i have a problem to solve and i can turn up my ipod and think away! and, i have never known a chubby runner! so i better keep running...haha

The Hill's said...

Mandy - you truly are an inspiration to me! You are such a sweetheart & thoughtful friend! You always have been that way since the day I met you, but thank you especially for all your help these past few months! You & Ken are just wonderful! There's really no other way to say it!

I'm so proud of you for training for a marathon! You are doing awesome & you look great! Good luck with training...I like your quote! Hopefully someday soon I can go out for a run with you!

Love you guys! Megan

the Painters said...

You're so great Mandy! And look at you, skinny minni little thing...now I know your secret.

The Marquardt Family said...

ahhhh.. Wish I could get into it! Good luck with training you will do great!Hope all is well, fun to catch up on eachothers blogs! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Mandy- We have been missing eachother, and it is mostly my fault- well my dang phones fault- I hope I see you at church today so we can finally talk about your hair. Hopefully you already got it done, not that I wouldn't love to do it, I just know how impatient I get when I need mine done :-) I hope that Kenny is doing better, I heard that last Sunday wasn't good- he is in our thoughts and Prayers! Please let me know if you ever need ANYTHING- provided my phone isn't being moody- but really though :-) I am SOO sorry again- I feel terrible :-(