Sunday, September 23, 2007

Time-Out

When I send my girls to time-out they yell and scream and plead with me, "No mommy, I'll be nice!" Why is that? Because If someone gives me the OPPORTUNITY for a time-out, I jump all over it! That's exactly what my mom an I did on Saturday. We went to Time-Out for Women! If you haven't ever gone to this, I recommend it! This is a little tradition that we have every year. It's a great conference with amazing speakers. Deseret Book puts it on and it truly is something I look forward to every year. Me and my BEAUTIFUL mom! She always looks so cute and stylish!
We ate at Sam's in downtown Phoenix for lunch. We discovered this place last year and we will go there every year! The food is AMAZING! My mom had the fish taco's,
I had this Pecan crusted Salmon on mashed Sweet potatoes with spinach. YUM!
Here we are at the restaurant, before we indulge!! (Never mind my half closed eyes!) And YES, we are sitting outside! It has finally cooled off enough to sit outside! YEAH!!

All of the talks were fantastic, but my favorite talk of the day was given by Merrilee Boyack. Her talk was titled: "Wife-hood 101, 5 things you need to know." I wish everyone who is a wife could have heard this talk. She had some really good points. With young children it's hard to make your husband the center of attention, but she says he needs to be. She talked about keeping his name sacred and how we should never speak unkindly about our husbands, even if they make us mad! She talked about how kids shouldn't be allowed in the family area past 9:00 at night, at the end of the day it's important to get out of "mom" mode and move into "wife" mode. She said that our husbands work with attractive women all day... make sure he comes home to one!


She had some great thoughts and ideas! I will apply them and continually strive to be a good wife! One thing she said was to treat him as the Valiant Son of God that he is. She told a story about whenshe was with President Hinckley and his wife and he told Merrilee about how he loved his wife's hands. He said they are the most beautiful things I have ever seen, all old and wrinkly. Then he said "OH, how I love my wife!" What sweet man and what a deep love he has for his wife. She said that's the kind of love we should strive for. And we have to work everyday for it.

So, here's for you Kenney... My refreshed commitment to be better and stronger as a wife and daughter of God! I love you!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

I wanted to come to the Time Out in Phoenix! But when I got online to check for tickets they were sold out :S I'm glad you had a great time! You guys look so cute! :D

Heather Brown said...

I'm sad I missed it this year! I remember that restaraunt last year!!! SO YUMMY SO YUMMY! Sounds like it was a really good meeting. Maybe next year I can plan to come out for it! Jason will be gone again.... Mom looks dang hot! So do you but you always do!

Anonymous said...

That is soo cool! I want to go next year- I have always heard the best things. So glad you had fun- and thanks for the good advice :-)

Jana said...

Ooooh, I love time out!! My mom and I went to it last year and it had some great speakers! Was the lady that talked about wifehood 101 the one who wrote "Strangling Your Husband is Not an Option"? I looked through that once and it looks like some of the same ideas. Also, the book "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura is good, even though I hate listening to her. She talks about the same thing, how we need to be nicer to our husbands and stuff.
And by the way thanks for letting Emma play..she's over there right now, which is why I can read blogs guilt-free! :)

Aubree said...

Glad you got to take some time for yourself...you deserve it! Love the pic of you and Jesse. Really cute! You are really good at a lot of things;) and I think being a great mom and wife make that list! Thanks for your insight!

Deanne said...

Mandy,
Hey it's Deanne I was checking some friends blogs and came across your name so I checked it out to see if it was the same Mandy I knew. Your girls are beautiful!!!!! What a cute little family you have. Maybe i'll run into you at ribbons and lace again!

Jessie Lyon said...

Time Out for Women is great, it is so awesome to have a wonderful, beautiful woman to go with, my daughter. (We missed you Heather.) Thanks to Kenney for having a daddy-daughter-day with Hailey and Olivia so we could enjoy this. And thanks to Dusty for being so supportive also!

Courtney said...

Mandy...I just saw your blog through Sarah Painters, and I have to say I think I stumbled upon it on the perfect day! Thank you! What a great talk...glad you could experience that with your mom!

Courtney