Over the past few days there have been some life changing events happen to this little Abbott family... let me share.
First of all... I turned 30! I feel absolutely excited about this. I have loved everything about turning 30. No tears were shed and no harsh feelings about entering into the next decade here!! I look forward to what this year has in store for me personally as well as for my family. I was feeling a little under the weather on my birthday but had a fantastic day nonetheless. I got breakfast in bed, we went to a movie, the weather was perfect so we played at the park, then went out for dinner. It was a wonderful day and I feel all growed up!
The next item of business... I couldn't be more excited about. This little number is about change Kenney's life. The trusty man in brown delivered Kenney's new "continuous glucose monitoring system" today. As most of you know Kenney has type 1 diabetes. His body doesn't produce insulin. Insulin is the hormone that converts sugar, starches and other food into energy. So, he wears a pump (pictured below) that delivers insulin into his body all day long thru a catheter that stays in his tummy. He pricks his fingers several times a day to make sure his sugars are within a normal range. Now for the good part... this new little contraption that just came today is his continuous glucose monitor (cgm). In the picture below, it's on the very top. It will be in his body at all times BUT there will be no more high and lows! This (cgm) tests his sugars every 10 seconds and averaged every 5 minutes, 24 hours a day. If his sugars are high his pump will notify him, if his sugars are low, his pump will notify him, if a high or low is predicted... again, he will be notified. AMAZING. Kenney is a trooper in dealing with this disease. He doesn't complain... ever. I am so happy that this will make his dealing with this so much easier. The best part is that insurance covered it 100%!!!

The next item of business... I couldn't be more excited about. This little number is about change Kenney's life. The trusty man in brown delivered Kenney's new "continuous glucose monitoring system" today. As most of you know Kenney has type 1 diabetes. His body doesn't produce insulin. Insulin is the hormone that converts sugar, starches and other food into energy. So, he wears a pump (pictured below) that delivers insulin into his body all day long thru a catheter that stays in his tummy. He pricks his fingers several times a day to make sure his sugars are within a normal range. Now for the good part... this new little contraption that just came today is his continuous glucose monitor (cgm). In the picture below, it's on the very top. It will be in his body at all times BUT there will be no more high and lows! This (cgm) tests his sugars every 10 seconds and averaged every 5 minutes, 24 hours a day. If his sugars are high his pump will notify him, if his sugars are low, his pump will notify him, if a high or low is predicted... again, he will be notified. AMAZING. Kenney is a trooper in dealing with this disease. He doesn't complain... ever. I am so happy that this will make his dealing with this so much easier. The best part is that insurance covered it 100%!!! 
So here's to being thirty, here's to technology, here's to modern medicine and here's to good insurance!!
10 comments:
That is awesome! I know dealing with my niece that has diabetes...it can be tough! She also has the pump right now but that new thing is awesome! She is only 6 but maybe when she is older. :) Hope you had a fabulous birthday!!! YAY to 30!!
That sounds awesome! I need to have Ryan check that out with his doctor. He still doesn't have the pump either, but I think he needs to get it. Do you remember the doctor he went to down here? He likes his doctor, but I am not sure he his helping him too much. I think he needs the pump...and this new thing! Let me know if you remember. And....happy birthday! Welcome to the 30's!
Sounds like you had a good birthday! I didn't think 30 was so bad either... I still don't :) But, 40 is only 8 years away and I'm not sure how I feel about that :)
I'm so glad you were able to get the moniter for Kenny!! That is fantastic!
Techonology is amazing! Happy Birthday! 30 isn't that bad, I'm 31 in 3 months and it has been a good year, I still feel like the youngest one sometimes.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! And that's so awesome about that new pump...amazing!
Happy belated bday Mandy! I'm excited that Kenny is able to have that pump. That is so great!
Whoo Hoo!! So glad Kenney got that really cool thingymajig. I am so technologically advanced!?! What a blessing that will be for all of you to help him stay well!! I think you are a TERRIFIC THIRTY-YEAR OLD!!! Wow, I really can't believe I am saying that about my own daughter, I really can't be that old can I??
Happy late B-day. You have a much better attitude about being 30 than I did - Good for you! Glad you had a good one! I know I say it all the time, but we sure do miss you guys. I miss all the great talks we had as we hiked around the zoo. I need to call you so we can catch up. Hope you're doing good!
That's exciting about Kenney's pump. I was just thinking about the diabetes walk today for some weird reason. When was that again Feb. sometime, right? Anyways, and once again congrats on turning 30!! You are on HOT 30 year old.
Happy late Birthday Mandy! I felt the same way about turning 30! Now when it comes to 40...:) I have a sis-in-law who wears a pump like Kenney. I know it's so much better than the old method, but I still feel bad for her. I hope Kenney feels okay and even better, now. What a trial. We are lucky to live in this day and age where he can have those technologies! Keep in touch!
Post a Comment