Friday, August 15, 2008

Lessons Learned

I have had some really incredible "ah-ha" moments the past few weeks. I will try to put into words my experiences and what I have felt...



Last week a sweet man in our ward passed away. It came as a surprise to the whole ward. He was out for a run and collapsed. In Relief Society our lesson was titled "Words of Hope and Consolation at the Time of Death." The lessons are all scheduled at the beginning of the year and this one just "happened" to be this particular week. Everyone in the room was so touched by the tenderness of this lesson. To see this sweet sister who just lost her husband sitting there with her daughter-in-law's arm around her on one side and her faithful Visiting Teacher on her other side was a sight that I will never forget. We had a sister share her story of how just 2 weeks ago she went outside to find her husband unconscious. He was rushed to the hospital and is now getting better. She told how at that moment her life was forever changed. How her and her husband's relationship is stronger than ever after that experience. It is too often that we take life for granted. I couldn't help but think back to last October when Kenney laid in the hospital bed at the ICU and I was faced with that same situation. I wasn't sure if he was going to make it or not. It's not exactly a time in my life I like to reflect back on. It's too much to think about. But this I do know, life is so fragile. I have been reminded to make every moment count, to cherish the things that matter most and to not take anything for granted. I need to remember to slow down and to just thank my Father in Heaven for all that I have. To be honest, this move has been really tough on Kenney and I. We have been on different pages for the past few months. At times he has just been a passer by. Marriage is not easy, it takes work... on both parts. But it is the best work we will ever do, and it's definitely worth it. It is finally now that I can say, "Phew... we made it through that one." And unfortunately it was after seeing these past events. We both realized that life is too short and we are not in control. I know that my family will be together forever. I am so grateful for the knowledge I have of that. I am not perfect, nor do I pretend to be. I make more mistakes than I'd like to admit, but I am learning. It is through my mistakes I grow. I want to be able to take these lessons learned and apply them in teaching my girls. I want them to grow up to be amazing strong women. I want Hailey to continue to be a leader, and never a follower. I want Olivia to never loose her spunk and zest for life. I love that while I am the one who tries to teach them, I feel like I am learning the most!


These are my little helpers. I have to take advantage of the fact that when I give them a job to do, they get so excited. (I know it won't always be that way!!) Our neighbors were out of town for a few weeks. While they were gone there was a huge storm and part of their tree landed on their porch. Hailey saw her out sweeping up the remains of it and asked me if she could go help her. It was really sweet of her. And I can't think of a better way to end the summer than at the pool!

My little dorkus-magee! The water was freezing today. They actually closed the pool because of thunder and rain. But you better believe as soon as they re-opened it all the kids jumped in and had a blast, shivers and all. While the pool was closed all the kids played bingo. Olivia got a little excited and instead of marking her paper, she marked Hailey's eye! School starts after Labor Day and we are enjoying every minute of our "non-scheduled" lives because that's about to change big time! Both girls will be in school this year... Ah man, I can't even go there now, I'll have to save that for another time!!

Here's to a great relaxing rest of summer!

13 comments:

Ashton & Co. said...

Nice post. I don't know what happened to your hubby last year, but it sounds like it was a very trying time. I hope that lady in your ward is okay. How sad. Good thing for the gospel!!! I love the pics of the girls. They are always too cute! the goggles are a good look for them... Like the cleaning pics, too. Let's hope you will be able to take antoher picture just liek that when they are teenagers! :)

Ashton & Co. said...

Holy cow, I just noticed all my mispellings. I type while I am nursing Keaton...:)

Logan & Lindy said...

I needed that! Seriously it put me back in my place. We are packing and moving and are tired and grouchy!!! It reminded me to have a little more patience and be a little nicer mom and wife! I needed a little reminder about the important things in life. You always have such uplifting posts! Always trying to be better. I love it! I miss your little girls those goggles are so cute!

gina said...

Mandy- Thank you so much for that post. I really needed that in my life right now. Life is so fragile! I forget to enjoy every second of every day. I forget to enjoy my kids while they are young.I get upset easily over silly things. WHY?!? And I forget that my husband is my eternal companion and not just my roommate. Thanks for that reminder. You're a sweet sweet girl and an amazing mother and wife.

Heather Brown said...

Thanks for makin me get teary eyed at work! Appreciate that!! I miss those girls so much! And I def miss you! You and Kenney have always been a couple I look up to! You guys are the strongest people I know! I sure do love ya! I am glad all is ok! And thanks for the reminder!!!!

Melissa said...

What a great post! Those moments where we get a clear picture of what life is really about are priceless. Thank you for sharing yours!

Bekah: said...

Mandy, thanks for the sweet post and sweet perspective. it is so nice to have time to re-evaluate our lives and remember that what is most important is the people we love right in our own homes!

Kippy said...

You are always so insightful and so witty. Nate and I look up to both of you. I love the dorkus-magee picture.

Verity said...

Thank you, Mandy! We were out of town on our beach vacation and missed everything going on in the ward with Brother Guild's passing. Your post helped me to feel what everyone was going through. You're the best!

Aubree said...

So good to read a real life post and none of this "seriously so blessed" stuff. Just another reason why you are the best...because you are real. Can't wait to see you in a week. Hurry up!

dustin and jessie said...

Your little helpers are the best! I can just see their mom showing them the way. How great that Hailey wanted to help the neighbor, your girls are learning so much from you! Service, how to work hard, play hard and rest peacefully after a great well rounded day!! WE love you ALL!!

Marie said...

You always have such great insight. I"m so impressed with all the effort you put into making your marriage stronger - I need to take some lessons! Love the pool pics. We gave up on the pool early this summer after all the nasy bacteria scares. Too much for me!

The Hill's said...

What an incredible person you are! We miss you guys! I really want our girls to be friends forever! If Taylor could have good influences like you guys in her life I don't think I would worry about her so much! Plus I miss watching how you raise your kids so I can make personal notes on how I can handle situations better in the future! Glad to hear you guys are doing so great!

P.S. I think Jordan really misses Ken too!