When we woke up on Monday morning Olivia had a fever and was just not feeling well. I called the Doctor and they wanted to see her. I took her in and our doctor told me to watch for the redness to spread and if it did, she would have to go to the hospital. When Kenney got home at 5 o'clock I had him take her in to ask the doctor's opinion, he immediately called the hospital and reserved a room for her.
We found out that the wound hadn't been cleaned out enough before it was taped up... so it was trapping in the infection. They removed the strips and it started to drain right away.
She was a trooper and was mostly patient with the doctors and nurses. When she would get and at them, she was very adamant about what she wanted. By saying things like, "Stop doing this now." Or, "You guys need to stop touching me." And, "Now, that's enough of this." This was Olivia's first overnight hospital stay and she was a champ. Grandma and Grandpa Lyon, Aunt Heather, Aunt Charlotte and cousin Madison sent her a balloon and a little doll. It was the only half smile we saw from her the whole visit! She could only half smile because the bad side of her face was so tight, it wouldn't move.
We were in the children's hospital, so they had toys to play with. Kenney was thankful for the video games. He spent the night with Olivia so I could go home and get Hailey off to school.
Chris and Aubree moved to Chicago just a few weeks ago right after they got married. Chris is a pilot and had a few days off. Since Aubree doesn't have a job yet...they decided to come over to visit. They flew in on Monday afternoon. And I am certain in my mind there was a reason they came. They planned on coming even before all the craziness happened. We were able to take Olivia to the hospital and not worry a split second about Hailey. Had they not come into town... I'm not sure what I would have done. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. While they have been able to see a few of the cool things this city has to offer, they have been my angels. Maybe they used their angel wings to fly over. Thanks guys for letting me feel comfort while you stayed with Hailey. I love you both.
We are home now and Olivia is doing so much better. We have an appointment with a plastic surgeon on Monday. He just want to keep a close eye on her to make sure the scaring won't be too bed. I am so thankful for modern medicine and good doctors.
We found out that the wound hadn't been cleaned out enough before it was taped up... so it was trapping in the infection. They removed the strips and it started to drain right away.
She was a trooper and was mostly patient with the doctors and nurses. When she would get and at them, she was very adamant about what she wanted. By saying things like, "Stop doing this now." Or, "You guys need to stop touching me." And, "Now, that's enough of this." This was Olivia's first overnight hospital stay and she was a champ. Grandma and Grandpa Lyon, Aunt Heather, Aunt Charlotte and cousin Madison sent her a balloon and a little doll. It was the only half smile we saw from her the whole visit! She could only half smile because the bad side of her face was so tight, it wouldn't move.
We were in the children's hospital, so they had toys to play with. Kenney was thankful for the video games. He spent the night with Olivia so I could go home and get Hailey off to school.
Chris and Aubree moved to Chicago just a few weeks ago right after they got married. Chris is a pilot and had a few days off. Since Aubree doesn't have a job yet...they decided to come over to visit. They flew in on Monday afternoon. And I am certain in my mind there was a reason they came. They planned on coming even before all the craziness happened. We were able to take Olivia to the hospital and not worry a split second about Hailey. Had they not come into town... I'm not sure what I would have done. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. While they have been able to see a few of the cool things this city has to offer, they have been my angels. Maybe they used their angel wings to fly over. Thanks guys for letting me feel comfort while you stayed with Hailey. I love you both. Now I am left sitting here not really knowing how to deal with the emotions going on inside my head and heart. I have to be strong for my girls and try to hold myself together for my family... but I'm not doing a good job of that. Kenney is so solid and I am so fragile! We make a good team. He suggested trying to write my feelings down. So bear with me while I try to get a little of it out..
To Rosco. I am so mad at you. But while I am so mad... I still miss you. I keep hearing your little toenails on the wood floor sprinting to jump up on the bed. I have had to pick up more dropped food on the floor in the 2 days than I have had to in the past 7 years. Every time I go outside, I think I should call you to come outside with me to go potty. I wanted to grab your leash so you could come get Hailey at the bus stop. I think about the times you watched over the girls when they were babies. You always protected them. One time Hailey was crying up in her room (she was only a few weeks old) and I fell asleep on the couch. You came and scratched at me feet to wake me up. Every time I was in the kitchen you stood at my feet hoping I would drop you a bite. I threw a piece of chicken the other night by habit, and I had to bend over to pick it up, because you were not there. I think of how tolerant of the girls you were. You were the third set of hands to play ring-around-the-rosies because you can't make a circle with only 2 people. You danced and played. You wore tu-tu's and Olivia loved you most. She always wanted you around. I am sorry we put you on the airplane. I think it freaked you out too much. You were getting sick and we didn't know what to do to take care of you. I get so angry every time I look at my little baby's face. You made her look so bad. I know she will get better. I am so thankful for that. But I look at her and the image of you just biting down on her little cheek is my biggest nightmare right now. I couldn't say goodbye to you. I was so mad I didn't want to look at you. I know this could have been lot worse. So I'm thankful it was only as bad as it is. You are the only dog we will ever have. I could never get another dog. I am just sorry this all had to happen. I am sorry you freaked out. But I still loved you.
19 comments:
Oh Mandy! I'm so sorry... I hope Olivia's face heals quickly!!
Mandy, this is truly heartbreaking. Poor Livy. Poor sweet thing. I hope she gets better fast and that all the scars heal and the infection leaves.
Thank you for sharing your raw emotions and feelings. I hope it helped you process this terrible thing that happened. I also think your experience will help others realize the danger of even the most loving and trusted family pets.
poor sweet girl. can you e-mail me your address (michaelandbekah@gmail.com)
Oh poor girl! I hope she gets better soon! You can handle this...you are very strong. If the doctor doesn't tell you...make sure you start using Mederma on her scars. We used it on Cohen's lip and it is amazing! You can hardly see the scars. Good luck.
She is the sweetest thing ever! I hope her cute little face heals quickly. I feel so sad for you guys to have to go through that. You have a darling family. My family misses you guys!
Mandy! You made me cry! I am so sorry this happend. To be honest with you, this is why I won't have animals. I was acctually bit on the face when I was a kid and it has scared me for life. I don't even have a scar but I remember being scared. My heart is sad for you. I have such a tender heart for animals but they have to be someone elses. You are such a good mamma. Thank goodness for friends and video games ;)Kisses, Gina
Mandy. I seriously just started bawling. I hadn't even read the last part of your blog yet. I saw the picture of Rosco and my heart dropped.... I cant imagine what you are going through right now. I just sit here and wonder what would happen if Dexter did that to Madi. She probably wouldnt survive. It makes me so scared.. Rosco has been such an awesome dog to you guys and it makes me sad to see him go and to see Livy in such pain. Im sorry I couldn't be there for you but I am so glad that Aubree was there for you. Give Livy a HUGE hug from us. Tell her to stay strong and that everything will be ok... We love you all and miss you all dearly......
I didn't know Olivia was in the hospital--I am sorry about that! So thankful for people like Aubree and Chris who are there at the right place and the right time. Please let me know if you need ANYTHING!!! And let Olivia know that we are thinking about her and praying for her and your family.
Oh Mandy that is so sad for so many reasons. I hope you and Olivia are doing better. You are a great mom.
You are such a strong woman. These are your children and you have the option to feel however you like. I don't know what went through my mothers mind after she saw the bite marks on my lips. We never saw a dog again, that's for sure! I am deathly afraid of dogs now. It is so hard to predict what they are going to do. God be with you guys and let me know if you need anything!
There are no words to express the sadness we feel about what has happened. We know Livy will get better and things will be OK :-) Our thoughts and our prayers are with you. May the Lord be with you.
Mandy when I saw the pictures I almost cried!!! What a brave tuff little girl. I hope everything heals ok and she is fine!! She is just too cute and beautiful even with the swollen face!!
Mandy, I'm so sorry you guys are going through this! What a roller coaster! I wish there were something I could do. Poor little Livy..I'm so sad for her. She must feel so bad, I'm sure she loved Rosco so much. I hope things heal up well (emotionally and physically). We'll be praying for you. We miss you! Love, The Webers
Oh Mandy,
I am so sorry. I am seriously sitting here crying as I type this. My heart breaks for you and I can't imagine doing what you have had to do. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Poor Livy and poor Roscoe. I'm sorry to say poor roscoe cause I know you are so mad about this. I don't blame you, I am just a huge dog lover and I don't know what I would do if this ever happened to me. How hard this all must be for you. I am so so sorry and hope little Livy gets feeling better soon. I've been thinking about you a lot lately and I know it sounds crazy cause I haven't seen you in years, but I miss you. I really do. I told Amanda the other night that it is so weird how we were so close and just totally lost touch. You truly were my best friend and I'll never forget you or the fun things we did together. I hope I can see you again someday. You hang in there, okay? I'll keep you in my prayers. Love ya.
Hey my random stranger friend,
I'm so happy Liv's ouchies are getting better. You guys are such troopers. You know we're here for you! I just wanted to tell you I started a blog...not as cute as yours but someday. Call me if you want to play (you or the girls or both).
Oh Mandi I am so sorry honey. I know how much you loved Rosco but I also know that as parents, we need to do all we can to protect our little ones so I fully and completely support your decisions. Scars fade and hearts will heal. The most pain I feel while reading these posts is the pain little sweet Livy has to endure. I KNOW though that you will be blessed. And thank goodness that your friend Aubrey and her husband could be there. Through trials, SO come blessings and the Lord knows your pain and sadness and He is blessing you and Ken and the girls.
Oh Mandy, my heart is just breaking for your little Livy, and your family! What a hard thing to go through, I'm so sorry. YOu are such an AMAZING woman, stay strong, and know that you guys are in our thoughts and prayers. Wishing you a speedy recovery Olivia!!
Mandy, I ran in to Johnny and Marie at a cousins reception last night and Marie told me about Olivia and Rosco. I was so so sad for you, Olivia and your family. I was thinking that between Kens hosital stay, Olivia's bite and having to put down a your family pet that makes a pretty LARGE 3 and you deserve smooth sailing from here on out. =) After reading your post I seriously had tears running down my cheaks. HUGS!
Margo
I'm so sorry Mandy. You probably looked through many pictures to decide on the one you wanted to post of Rosco. So sad.
It's such a sad thing that happened for you guys.
I'm glad to see things have been improving and that Livy is slowly healing. Yay! Her first day of school and the rain in bating suits looked so fun. It's good to see you guys enjoying it so much over there.
Oh Mandy that is so sad. Your sweet little girl, poor thing. She is a trooper! I have to admit I am sad for your dog too. Having a pet is like it is part of the family. I do not blame you for letting him go though I would have done the same thing.
Post a Comment