Life is insane. Life is crazy. Life is precious. Life is fragile. Life is unpredictable. This past weekend was tough. A group of friends from our ward had gotten together for dinner before the Relief Society Broadcast on Saturday. What was suppose to be a great night out with the girls and a spiritually uplifting meeting turned into a night of extreme sadness... yet spiritually uplifting at the same time. We were headed to dinner when one of the girls said one of our friends had her baby earlier that day... but the little guy wasn't doing so well. We decided to go visit our friend in the hospital. The baby was transferred to the DC Children's Hospital... dad went with the baby and mom had to stay behind at the hospital. After all she did just have a baby. We ended up ditching the meeting to do what we felt was more important. While we were at this little families home taking care of a few things.. we got a phone call from our Bishop that asked if 2 of us could go get the mom and her children and take them into DC. They needed to hold the baby and say goodbye to him. He wasn't going to make it. This family already has 3 children. These little children's lives had just been changed. So had mine. To see this sweet momma tell her children that their little brother was going to Heaven and that they needed to go see him before he went was absolutely heart wrenching. They were filled with questions and sadness. We got to the hospital and some of the sweetest things took place. I was moved and touched by the words that were said. My heart was full yet in knots. We took the children home and tucked them in bed so the parents could say their final goodbyes to this little angel. At church the next day we had Fast & Testimony meeting. The father and his 8 year old daughter were there. I was stunned... Shocking since they didn't even get home until about 6 am. The 8 year old told her daddy that sometimes we don't feel like going to church, but we need to go. Children are incredible. So this dad with the faith of his daughter went to church. He stood and bore his testimony. He told of the love he feels from his Father in Heaven. It was powerful and beautiful. The whole meeting was intense. All the tender voices reaching out to this family were inspiring.
I have to say I have been humbled through all of this. It's all a wake up call as to what's really important in life. The twists and turns our lives have in them sometimes feel like too much to handle. I know we are never given a trial we cannot handle. I am so thankful for the knowledge we have in the Gospel of knowing that our journey doesn't stop when we leave this earth. This family is a forever family. They will someday see their brother and son again. Where they can be together forever. I am so thankful for a Father in Heaven who died for us so this can be possible. I am thankful for the feelings of peace I feel in an uncertain world. I am thankful for all the things we have to go through that deepen our souls and make us stronger. As I pray for this family, I am reminded once again not to take advantage of the things that life has to offer. Life truly is so unpredictable.
Monday, September 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Mandy, what a sad story, but an inspiring one as well. I needed that tonight- thank you! It's always nice to be reminded of what is really important in life and not to take things for granted. I am so sorry for that family's loss- it sounds like she has a great support group. I, too, am so thankful we do have the knowledge of forever families. Thank you for sharing their story...
Mandy, as you know, you were exactly where you should have been. You and your ward family were doing just what was being talked about at the Women's Conference! You are wonderful!
I am at such a loss for words...but thank you for sharing that. What an inspiration for them to still be in church, and for her to be such an example. What would we do without the gospel?
Mandy, Thanks for sharing your testimony on family. I too know that we will be with our family members that have passed on. It's the beauty of our religion. It's still hard and heart breaking to see family and friends go on before us. But it gives me peace to know that I will see them again. Kisses, Gina
Thank you for sharing your testimony and your experience. I have definitely gained a stronger testimony of these things lately and they are very close to my heart. Do you happen to know why the baby didn't live? I'm just curious if he had a heart defect because that is so common in babies that can't survive. I am impressed by the strength of that father and daughter. I'm sure they touched many people's lives by coming to church and sharing their testimonies.
Wow Mandy. Life has been handed to you a lot lately. You are the toughest woman I know and I truly admire you for that. Thanks for the post! I think we all needed it!! I LOVE YOU!!!!
It's so sad when those things happen, but the lord knows to surround those who are troubled with the best, kindest people who will do everything they can to bring comfort to them. I'm glad you were there to help. You have such a compassionate spirit and you've always been so in touch with the spirit and know just what to do for people. You always inspired me. I'm so glad that Livy is doing better.
Thank you, Mandy! (And just so you know, I felt like a million bucks after your phone call last night--you're the best!)
Oh I am so sorry for your friend and her family. My heart truly goes out to them. Thanks for sharing that experience Mandy. I loved hearing about the father and daughter going to church...so amazing! I know that you were a huge blessing to me when I lost Jackson. Seriously, I really didn't thank you nearly enough for all of that. I still remember getting that phone call in the hospital and then seeing you with those flowers. I also remember crying harder to you about everything than I cried to anyone, and going out to lunch with you & your girls, which completely turned things around for me. I love you & appreciate you & I know that this sweet family does too! You guys truly touch the lives of those around you, wherever you are!I love that about you.
Oh my, what a special post! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I couldn't help but think of how hard that would be, but you're right - it makes you realize what life is all about and that family will be all together again someday. Mandy, you are incredible! You are such a ray of hope to be around! I miss you!
Mandy, I'm so glad to see that wherever you go you continue to share the Mandy-goodness that comes with you. It definitely can't be beat. You seem to have a knack for knowing when someone needs a phone call, hug, meal, all of the above, etc. And lucky for us, who are your friends, we get to reap that talent of yours over and over again. Thanks for your positive input into what could've been a debbie downer post. Love ya!
Thanks for sharing those wonderful insights, I am gald also for children and the things that say in the times that we need to hear them most.
If you are wondering who I am...I am an old friend of Kenny's...he was my first offical friend (just tell him about his birthday party)!
anyway you both have a beautiful family!!--Kirk Begay
What a sad yet inspiring story. I have to teach in R.S. this week about turning to the Lord in times of tragedy. This family is a wonderful example of that!
Post a Comment