

Kenney working hard!
While we have been busy unpacking we have been entertaining the girls in the simplest of ways! This picture of Livy makes me laugh so hard. This is right before she aces it on the bottom step, as you can see her basket is tipping. She has a peaceful look on her face there... but not so much a split second later!

We have been having a great time in our yard. We have won over the hearts of all our neighbors by putting some TLC into the front yard. Apparently it was a quite a burden on the neighborhood!! 20 bags of yard debris and 15 bundles of branches later... it's looking much better. Our neighborhood is something straight out of a movie. The people are incredibly friendly. We see at least a half a dozen runners pass every time we're out there and even twice that many people walking dogs. Most of them stop to chat and welcome us to the neighborhood. We have been given a casserole, bread, offered coffee, and not to mention the full service Home Depot Neighbors on each side of us. They are just happy someone is actually taking care of the yard.
Kenney's first time ever mowing a lawn in all our married years!

These next few photos taken of the yard were taken by Hailey, or should I call her... Rain Man.




Hailey wanted to make a lemonade stand but since we didn't have any lemonade, she gave out free water to the passers by. Even though the sign said FREE, the girls walked away with $4. Hailey was so excited... but confused. "Why did they give me money when the sign says free?"
All in all we're adjusting really well. I have good days and bad days, but that's to be expected anywhere!
The Arlington National Cemetery
Before we went we explained to the girls what Memorial Day was all about. We told them how the place we were going to wasn't like the park or the zoo. That this place was a place to be quiet and respectful. It was amazing to me how they "got it" They were on their best behavior the whole time.
The Tomb of the Unknowns.The Tomb contains the remains of unknown American soldiers from World Wars I and II, the Korean Conflict and The Vietnam War. Each was presented with the Medal of Honor at the time of interment and the medals, as well as the flags which covered their caskets. The Tomb is guarded 24-hours-per-day and 365-days-per year by specially trained guards. Amazing.
We saw President Bush! He was at the cemetery giving a speech. We saw him as he was leaving. Pretty cool! After we saw him Hailey kept asking when we were going to see President Hinckley's grave. 
I thought this was a really cool quote. "The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring this endeavor will light our bounty and all who serve it, and the glow from that fire can truly light the world." -John F. Kennedy
What an amazing day that I hope to never forget. My eyes had tears in them nearly the whole time we were there. It is just amazing to me that so many have died in our behalf. I've always known it, but after seeing it, everything is put into perspective. For all those who have fought and served for my freedom, to the families who have lost loved ones, all I can say is... Thank you.
11 comments:
I'm so glad you're getting settled in!
I've always wanted to see Arlington. That's so great that the girls were so good. It's so awesome when your kids understand the things that you explain to them!
Ah so good to finally see everything we've only talked about. The laundry basket thing cracks me up. Who knew laundry baskets could be so useful...sled, cage, suitcase, you know it! Your yard looks sweet. Glad to see your finally back in business. Boo yeah!
Arlington looks amazing. I would love to go visit. I am so glad you guys are doing great, and found a beautiful house! I cant wait to see more pictures!!!
I think I've checked your blog a million times. So glad you guys are doing good. Looks like you're staying busy and having fun. We still miss you and will keep telling you that until we see you again!
Im so jealous you got to go to Arlington. Something I have always wanted to do. Especially now that Jason is in the Army! I love the place. Glad the girls are having fun. I needed them to give me water this week while I was moving!!
Wow what a post! Glad you are moving in, can't wait to come see you. Love the lemonade stand, is that wanda helping them? Awesome that you got to experience what Memorial Day is all about!
You get to see such cool stuff! I have always wanted to come out there and see all those really neat places.
That picture of Livy as she's about to biff it is priceless! ha, that is my new favorite picture:) Good photography by the way. Glad you are getting settled in.
Hooray! You're in! What a great thing. I'm glad you guys are adjusting well. You can't beat being able to do & see so many fabulous things. I'm sure it helps with the homesickness.
BTW, I only needed one potty break while reading your long post. That's not too bad for being almost 8 months pregnant, right? Just teasing. :)
That was amazing! Thanks for sharing!
I think it is so neat that you get to live somewere that has so much history and cool things to go show the girls.
i'm glad you guys are getting settled in there. i'd love to live in arlington! my grandparents live there and it's been about 14 years since i've been back! my favorite is the viatnam memorial. i dont know if you've been there yet, but if you ever go, will you find my uncle's name on the big black wall and take a picture for me? his name is william henry underwood. thanks!
Post a Comment